The cape coat is finished, wearable and, above all, photographed. I am extremely pleased with this creation and the pictures. Thanks for taking them, Samantha!
I want to mention the skirt for a minute. I didn’t make it exactly, but it is pretty different than the skirt I brought home from the second hand store a few months ago.
For starters, it fits now. Also, if a red leather skirt could be frumpy, it was definitely frumpy when I bought it! I shortened it by cutting a couple of inches off the waist, and a couple more off the front hem. I made the hem in the back be longer than the front, a detail I have come to really like in skirts. I get to have the cute short skirt as well as enough skirt to sit down in.
A lining reveal. If you have been assiduously following the Cape Coat Saga, you may remember that I chose a satin fabric for the lining of a deep ivory or champagne color.
You may also remember (although I myself don’t remember mentioning it) that a big reason I could not justify the purchase of the papercut pattern was that the reviews said the lining instructions weren’t very good.
Now, Burda’s instructions for anything aren’t very good, but they are about $5 and I do have other resources (like stacks and stacks of sewing books.)
I probably won’t be able to wear my coat very much until March or so. I want to make a matching belt for it too.
I wish I had taken a picture of my friend Samantha snapping pictures in the icy rain with a 5-month-old strapped to her front. It was awesome.